Tuesday, September 13, 2005

I have a stomach-ache. A direct consequence of last night's excesses. I don't normally binge on food, but somehow, I couldn't hold myself back yesterday.
Its nothing serious, just bad enough to convince me that Wednesday is as good a day as any other to bunk college.

Knowing that I ought to be in college puts pressure on me to do something constructive with my time. Returning to bed for an added hour of sleep didn't exactly help the cause. So, I spent some more time reading the newspapers today. I even read the Eco Times. Its actually pretty good.

And it even had a sports article crammed into a 2x2 inch space, which included a 1.75x1.75 inch picture of Roger Federer. The media can't seem to get enough of him. But he deserves every bit of the attention and adulation he's getting. He's a consummate sportsman - skillful, artistic, ruthless, modest. Agassi's assessment was spot on. Federer's even better than Sampras. The man's a genius. Thats very very high praise, coming from me.

In fact, I reserve that kind of extolment for when I'm face to face with what Dictionary.com defines as "A surface capable of reflecting sufficient undiffused light to form an image of an object placed in front of it."

As I've already said, constructive is the word of the day for me today. So, I spent a few minutes (37, give or take 5) wondering how a movie like Sin City can be completely devoid of f-words. Amazing huh? But its true!

Not going to college allows me roughly half and hour more on every routine morning activity. Being the opportunist that I am, I grabbed the chance to hone my vocal talents. U2 can be awfully hard to sing in the shower, so I belted out Coldplay and Green Day at full volume, interspersed with some hit Kannada film music (including the perennial favourite - Taliban Alla Alla. Thank you Arpan and Vaibhav!). Now my throat is a little sore. But I have no regrets whatsoever.

My electric shaver broke, so I had to throw it away. I can't get rid of this stubble. I don't trust myself with razors. Electric shavers are far more convenient and a lot safer. And mine worked like a charm. I feel sad. Separation pangs I guess. I'll get over it. Looking down, I see that I have hairy feet. Like hobbits. LOTR rules!

Here's something we're studying in college. Its a poem by a Hebrew poet called Yehuda Amichai. If you ask me, our college English book sucks, but this one poem stands out. Its an anti-war poem. So simple, so short, but it still says a lot. A link - http://www.cs.rice.edu/~ssiyer/minstrels/poems/1448.html

2 Comments:

Blogger Gaurav said...

Wednesday being the most delightful day to bunk in College, you surely made a good choice.

And if you notice, the class attendance peaks on Wednesday rising from Monday morn' blues and eventually dwindling down to Friday Morn' Movies.

As a great responsibility of carrying Jain College traditions on my shoulders(Apollo! Are u listening? And U thought the world was heavy!), I too obliged by getting stability in the class attendance record by bunking the latter 3 classes.

Also, as a special request, could you sing Taliban Alla Alla for me tomorrow in Additional English class?

And don't get depressed about the razor. Vikram and the-school-office-counter-female will start think your 'SMART!'.
And your beard would give justice to the song 'Taliban Alla Alla'
B-bye.

7:48 AM, September 14, 2005  
Blogger Gaurav said...

And yes, the poem rocks!
The other one also pretty nice.(I have nameophobia, so i don't remember the name of the other poem)

7:49 AM, September 14, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home